Saturday, April 9, 2016


Menu and tasting notes

Dinner at Palisades
Germany/Austria
 
On Wednesday I went to Palisades in Eggleston with my girlfriend for Wines Around the World. The theme for the week was Germany & Austria, which was exciting because we liked Gewurztraminer the last time we had it. I thought I had the wrong directions driving there because it is a little in the middle of nowhere, but we made it and I was impressed as soon as I walked in!
 
 
 
 
 
 
We started with a Cajun seafood bisque that was not on the Wines Around the World menu, but was delicious. It paired well with water. The foods that were served were kasespaetzel(fancy mac and cheese), rohe kartoffelknodel (fancy tater tots), and schnitzel (fried pork). These were to be paired with Riesling, Gewurztraminer, and Gruner Veltliner.
 
Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Gruner Veltliner
  
The first wine we tasted was the Dr. Loosen 2014 Riesling, which was light yellow in color and the lightest in color of the wines. It had a medium light body. It was hard to smell the wines because of the glasses that they were served in, but the Riesling was crisp and had an apple aspect to it. It was probably right in the middle of dry and sweet, maybe on the dryer side. With the kasespaetzel, the wine had a spicy-ish characteristic that I couldn't place and became more acidic with less fruit. I was not expecting that at all but they paired well together.
Noodles, dumpling, pork
 
 
The next wine was the Shine 2013 Gewurztraminer. This wine was golden colored and had medium to medium plus body. There was definite aspects of perfume and flower with some spice. The fruit quality was lychee I'm pretty sure after tasting a few Gewurztraminers. It was really well balanced.  With the rohe kartoffelknodel, some of the perfumey-ness of the wine left and it was more fruity and sweet. This was also a good pairing.
 
The sommelier at work
The last wine we tasted was the Anton Bauer 2013 Gruner Veltliner. The color of this wine was a pale gold and had little bubbles, but I don't think my girlfriend's pour did. It had a light body and was dry but smooth and airy. It was a little spicy and I thought I tasted hints of nut, but the wine was kind of bland. It was easy to drink but not much aroma or taste or complexity. There was also not much change with the schnitzel pairing. 
 
 
 All the food was delicious, especially the pork which was crispy and cooked perfectly. Our favorite wine was the Gewurztraminer, with the Riesling in second. We enjoyed our dinner and the service especially the butterscotch candy at the end. I recommended this to my parents and would love to go again to try a different country. 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment