Wednesday, February 3, 2016

    On my 21st birthday my parents thought it was my 41st and took me to a wine bar.  My favorite wine was a Cabernet Franc.  I've been to a few wine tastings with them since, but when I drink wine I usually get Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot, unless I'm investing in a pleasant Franzia box wine.  I had a surprising recent experience with wine as a result of doing Lesson 3 of Drink This Now.  I drank the Cote du Rhone with my girlfriend (each of us had about a bottle, which is pretty average), slept for 7 hours, woke up and was wondering whether I could drive to practice.  I wonder what they put in that wine. 

I like red wines a lot better than white wines, but sometimes have Pinot Grigio if my roommates need help.  Mimosas are great as well.  The more I try to talk about my experiences with wine I realize that I don't know that much.  I generally resort to saying the wine has a "smooth finish" with a straight face and people don't question it.  I think a proper vocabulary is necessary to enjoy wine properly.  That is one thing I would like to get from this course.

Some other things I would like to get from this course are an understanding of the different types of grapes that are used to make wine, the regions that they come from, aging, and how all of this contributes to making wine taste differently.  I would like to learn to talk about wine and enjoy it to its full potential.  It would be cool to learn about labels as well.  There are a lot of complexities to wine and it seems to be a conversation starter that I could get into. 

No comments:

Post a Comment